Welcome to the 7th and 8th Grade Classroom.
Week at a glance
Grade 7 & 8 Study Topics
- Religion: The 7th and 8th grades are taught by the two pastors and prepared for confirmation at the end of 8th grade. Luther’s Small Catechism and the Bible are used as their main textbook.
- Reading: The reading of short stories, sections from classics and novels. Literary analysis, comprehension, and understanding are key components of these classes. The computer based Accelerated Reader Program guides student’s personal reading goals at levels appropriate to their skills.
- Writing: The six traits of good writing (voice, idea, organization, word choice, sentence fluency, and mechanics) are being introduced at this level. Vocabulary activities add synonyms, antonyms, analogies, and word definitions to the students’ arsenal of writing skills to help in their required writing assignment of a persuasive pro-life essay.
- Mathematics:In 7th grade students learn pre-algebra. How to solve algebraic equations and inequalities, work with linear and nonlinear functions, practice trigonometric functions and geometry.
- Computer:7th & 8th grades continue in keyboarding skills as well as going on to advanced uses of the computer such as using it for research and Internet projects.
- Geography/U.S. History/World Cultures: The 7th grade study U.S. History—1920’s to the present.
- Science: In 7& 8th grade we spend the year working on Physics. Hands-on activities and demonstrations are used to foster curiosity and understanding as the students learn the principles of science and the scientific method.
- Music/Choir: Each grade has one music period a week where they explore listening and analyzing, notation rhythm, moving to music, playing instruments. In choir students learn to perform in a variety of settings.
- Art:7th and 8th grades the students continue to learn drawing picture transfer, and expressing themselves in many different medians.
- Physical Education: The focus is on team games that introduce students to different sport and life-long activities. Fitness is stressed daily.